Thursday, October 14, 2010

Everybody's Free...to be Well

I embrace the concept of wellness. Not just from a grammatical standpoint. When people ask me how I am, I tend to say, “I’m well!” (Exclamation point intentionally included, I’m a very enthusiastic person.)
My husband, the English major, whom we fondly refer to as “The Editor” (with emphasis on the third syllable, like a comic book hero or villain) tells me I’m presumptuous in my remark. “I’m good,” is more conversational and acceptable. (He would also now tell me I have used too many parenthetical asides.) Meh.
I work with a lot of massage therapists and personal trainers. Through osmosis, I have absorbed the concept of total wellness and seek it in my life. “Wellness” means “healthy,” and “healthy” includes mind, body and spirit.
With that in mind, I engaged my coworkers, family, and friends in an informal poll about what things one could do every day to be well. Here are some of my results:
· Eat breakfast
· Learn something new
· Get some fresh air and sunshine
· Listen to music
· Floss
· Eat more fruits and vegetables
· Be hopeful
· Contribute to your community
· Have a deep belly laugh
· Wash your face before you go to bed
· Count your blessings
· Play with a pet
· Get off your ass 20-30 minutes a day
· Think about people to be thankful to for being in your life
· Smile
· Be naughty and annoy somebody on purpose for no reason
· Sleep at least 7 ½ hours a night
· Give hugs
· Talk to a friend
· Drink water
· Stretch
· Wear sunscreen
I’ve included a link to an inspirational song about sunscreen for your thoughtful enjoyment.
What do you do, or want to do, every day to be well?


2 comments:

  1. I do all those things except, well, the 20-30 minutes of getting off my ass, which might well be the most important one. *sigh*

    To add to the list? Maybe I'd say "be nice to yourself" or "cook some things from scratch" or "wave at your neighbors and small children." Or might just add "love".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect. I'm adding those for sure. Especially the cooking. I love to cook, but usually do large amounts in an available block of time. Not as relaxing as doing it every day.

    The "getting off your ass" (as well as the annoying people comment, which I loved) was from my friend Jim, a competitive cyclist who is an inspiration to me. After a quick workout that totally increased my energy level and decreased my stress level, I said to him the other day, "You know, I think you might really have something going there with that exercise thing."

    ReplyDelete

looking for something?