Wednesday, September 15, 2010

You mean I have to budget AND stick to it?

I need a job. And a couple thousand dollars. And a budget. Also-- health insurance, motivation, and discipline.



I am stuck in such a pickle because
I get certain types of help with my school funding that limits the amount of income I can bring in, and of course this includes unemployment. I have more time on unemployment, but my subsidy that makes my COBRA insurance barely affordable will run out at the end of December, making it completely UN affordable. Unfortunately I’m not the person that can go without health insurance. I have ISSUES. Surgery this, diabetes that, pre-existing everything, and need eye and dental coverage as well.


So. I need a new budget plan. I’ve been reading Gypsy’s ominous budget posts, (I say ominous because frankly, budgeting scares the bejeezus out of me… but being completely destitute scares me even more.) I need a job that will start right on January 1st with complete benefits, and I would prefer it be a job that entails me sitting around at a desk all day, catching up on studying, reading/writing blogs, and checking facebook. Actually, that would bore me to tears. I am looking forward to getting back to work, but nervous about how I’ll be able to balance my time with school. Oh, and there’s this kid living in my house that likes to spend time with me as well. I gain a ton of mental energy from being around people, feeling useful, being helpful. That will be a major POSITIVE to being back in the work force.


So in addition to trying to calm myself,(MEDITATION!) organize myself and make the most of my time, (STUDYING!) (PARENTING!) (MANAGING OUR FINANCIAL EMPIRE!) Now I am looking at the classified help wanted ads with a greater intent. I have “Update Resume” on my loooong list of things to do, so that when my dream job becomes available I’ll be able to whip out a perfect resume/cover in no time at all. This all seems overwhelming. So I’ve promised myself a few things. Check job ads daily. Re-schedule the CNA test that I missed. Plan our meals so that I’m watching my blood sugar, keeping nutritious food in my kid, and staying out of stores as much as possible. Because like an alcoholic in a bar, I cannot be around retail temptations. Even the grocery store is a very, very dangerous place. I have a pantry full of food (Hoarders, anyone?) and with careful planning I could make some great meals that would be healthy and require almost no additional ingredients.


1. Update Resume


2. Plan Meals for the next 2 weeks from pantry/freezer supply.


3. Re-schedule CNA test.


I am challenging myself to buy only fresh fruit/produce for the next couple of weeks, AND to do that once per week with a $15 limit? Is this reasonable? I do have lots of canned and frozen fruits and veggies of course. And I’m going to have to cook. But that’s okay… I know where to find some great recipes. (theflyingfork.com) and maybe if I really really want to make a purchase, I’ll call Gypsy and have her talk me down off the cliff.


Regarding my last two goals, meditation is going ok, I cannot believe how much my mind jumps around, but I hear this gets easier with practice. And I have several boxes of STUFF ready to donate, just need to get it in the car and downtown. I have a lab exam for Anatomy on Friday Morning, so I’m making Friday afternoon “delivery day” for the stuff that needs to be donated. This weekend I'll sit down with the bills and such and create THE BUDGET.   But now I’m going to go study. Really.

1 comment:

  1. I'll come over and help you do the budget if you want. Maybe I'll even bring you dinner (that's one less you have to do!)

    I think $15 a week for fresh produce is totally enough. That way you get what you need and nothing goes bad.

    have a plan for what you are going to do with your produce before you buy it, and then you have a meal you're a) excited about and b) you know you can cook and c) you use up your groceries.

    ReplyDelete

looking for something?